The ability to effectively apply Aspen Plus Dynamics to simulations will enable you to:
- Analyze process design and operability issues
- Study and select control strategies without disrupting production
- Reduce plant design time
- Evaluate plant re-vamp opportunities
- Troubleshoot plant operational problems
- Instruction on dynamic simulation is provided
- Key elements for achieving successful dynamic simulations are presented
- Important features of product functionality are demonstrated
- Apply learned concepts through hands-on workshops
- Course notes form a useful reference resource
- EAP101 Aspen Plus: Process Modeling course or equivalent.
- Some familiarity in using Aspen Plus
Subsequent CoursesEAP231 Aspen Custom Modeler
Dynamic Data in Aspen Plus
- Demonstrate the workflow for creating and running a dynamic simulation with Aspen Plus Dynamics
Running Simulations in Aspen Dynamics
- Describe how to enter the data required to create a dynamic simulation input from an Aspen Plus flowsheet
- Workshop: Enter dynamic data for simple blocks and then export the simulation to Aspen Plus Dynamics.
Aspen Dynamics Resolution
- Demonstrate the basic concepts in running the simulation
- Explain how to run and pause the simulation
- Describe how to display the results
- Workshop: Run a dynamic simulation.
Components and Streams
- Explain how Aspen Plus Dynamics solves the simulation.
- Illustrate how Aspen Plus Dynamics solves a simulation with an example, using flowsheet constraints (adding one equation) and changing specifications
- Workshop: Illustrate the equation-oriented approach used by Aspen Plus Dynamics.
Distillation with RadFrac
- Identify important information on components
- Show the different stream types and features
- Explain how to create a PIDincr controller
- Workshop: Create a controller (PIDincr)
- Explain RadFrac capabilities in Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Identify the RadFrac Dynamic forms in Aspen Plus
- Workshop: Illustrate the RADFRAC model.
- Describe the heat exchanger models supported in Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Describe the reactor models supported by Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Workshop: Compare RPlug reactor dynamics with and without catalyst heat transfer effects. Use the Profile plot
- Discuss the purpose of tasks
- Explain syntax of task instructions
- Workshop: Use Task language to drive events and for batch sequencing.
Pressure Driven Simulation
- Identify pressure changer models
- Workshop: Create a simple anti-surge control on a compressor.
- Explain Flow Driven Simulation and Pressure Driven Simulation.
- Explain how to configure a Pressure Driven Simulation
- Workshop: Configure a simulation to be pressure driven.
- Describe the following topics:
- Reverse flow overview
- Creating a Reverse Flow Simulation
- Modeling Features of Reverse Flow Simulation
- Workshop: Demonstrate reverse flow mode on a steam header
Scripts and Automation
- Identify the Aspen Plus Dynamics process control models
- Describe the PIDincr controller
- Discuss auto-generated PIDincr Controllers
- Workshop: Use different control models and illustrate how to tune a controller
Pressure Relief Capabilities
- Introduce Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) and its applications in Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Workshop: Use the scripting capabilities
Hints and Tips Using Aspen Dynamics
- Describe the pressure relief capabilities of Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Workshop: Implement a pressure safety valve (PSV) in Aspen Plus Dynamics
Modeling Batch Reactors
- Describe the different options for physical property calculation in Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Identify general advice on troubleshooting diagnostic tools and solver settings
- Demonstration of physical property options
- Demo: Physical Properties - Illustrate topics specific to physical property calculations with Aspen Plus Dynamics.
- Workshop: Create a simple dynamic simulation of a steam boiler
- Explain how to model a batch reactor in Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Demonstrate how previously explained topics are used for modeling batch reactors:
- Workshop Set up a batch reactor operation in Aspen Plus Dynamics.
Aspen Model Runner
- Describe how to use Flowsheet constraints for simple customizations
- Present how to customize Aspen Plus Dynamics models
- Explain how to create custom models compatible with Aspen Plus Dynamics
- Workshop: Customize a material stream type to add a standard vapor volume flowrate.
- Demonstrate Aspen Model Runner
- Workshop: Export a simulation to Aspen Model Runner.
Aspen Technology, Inc. awards Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for training classes conducted by our organization. One CEU is granted for every 10 hours of class participation.