ASU Process Overview
- Examine the Product requirements for the ASU plant to be simulated
- Anaylze the proposed process design
- Enter necessary elements to fully define a Fluid Package
- Understand the relative volatility of components in the system
- Investigate the phase behavior of typical fluids in the ASU process
Main Air Compressor (MAC)
- Define the atmospheric air to be used as feedstock
- Configure a 3-stage air compressor to produce Medium Pressure (MP) Air
Direct Contact After Cooler (DCAC) and Chilled Water Tower (ChWT)
- Specify two Absorbers to represent the DCAC for MAC discharge air cooling
- Use a Recycle option to link these two sections
- Configure an additional column to create ChW for the DCAC, using cold Waste gas from the ASU
- Use the Column Analysis tool to understand the ChWT hydraulics
Temperature Swing Adsorbers (TSA)
- Use a component splitter to remove the moisture and carbon dioxide from the coldbox feed air.
Booster Air Compressor (BAC)
- Split the dry air into process and utility streams
- Configure a multi-stage compressor producing Intermediate Pressure (IP) Air for expansion and High Pressure (HP) Air for Liquid Air generation
- Split the HP Air to the HP and Low Pressure (LP) column systems
Main Heat Exchanger (MHE) and Expander
- Define a multi-stream Plate-Fin heat exchanger to cool the MP, IP and HP Air streams and recover refrigeration from the coldbox.
- Use an Expander model to remove energy from the IP Air stream, creating refrigeration.
- Configure a 2-column system (with a side operation, rectifier) to produce streams of the required product flow and composition.
- Set up a Subcooler and Crude Argon Condenser
- Fully define all column feed streams (using a Recycle where necessary -for further adjustment)
- Install a pump to raise the Liquid Oxygen (LOX) pressure to product specification
- Integrate Crude Argon condenser (column system) into the Main flowsheet
- Integrate column product streams into the MHE and Subcooler for refrigeration recovery
- Link the HP Column condenser to the LP Column reboiler
- Close heat and mass balance on the waste circuit
Product Compression and Storage
- Route cryogenic liquid streams to storage
- Perform ‘heat leak’ calculations on storage tanks
- Configure a Gaseous Oxygen (GOX) pipeline
- Use a multi-stage compressor model to compressor Gaseous Nitrogen (GAN) from coldbox to meet product specification
- Use the HyproTech SQP optimizer to determine the optimum plant conditions to minimize energy usage.